About Me

My photo
Long Beach, California, United States
Welcome to my blog. Looking through my posts you will find that I love and have a passion for photography and although my expertise so to speak is in Sports Action, I have been getting into wildlife and senior portraits. No matter what I'm shooting I want to bring my client the best possible shot I can and give them / you a photograph that you will cherish for a lifetime. If your looking for someone to capture your child in action, to show the intensity and emotion in which your child plays, look no further. Just drop me a line (e-mail) at homerkenpo@aol.com. I cover most areas in Southern Califoria.

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Bolsa Chica Wet Lands

This past Saturday I was sitting at home during a wonderful day.  Well as I sat playing an on-line game I thought its just too good of a day to waste sitting at home, so I decided to hit Bolsa Chica Wet Lands once again.

You may ask yourself why I tend to go to Bolsa Chica so often, well I've been going there in hopes the Terns would become more active.  Sometimes things happen my way and this evening was one of them.  I parked my car at the west parking and after packing all my gear (2 Canon Mark IIn - one with a 24-70 attached and one with my 300 f/2.8 and 1/4x attached)  I also brought a tripod because I wanted to try a sunset self portrait before heading back to the car.

Once packed I began my walk to the center portion and found this guy trying to cure an Itch.  Since this walk-about was all about enjoying the evening and taking pictures I made it official with the first shot of the day, or evening in this case.


The Terns were not as active as I had hoped, but there were much more active then they've been in some time, so I stayed in the center portion getting shots of the common terns and snowy egrets flying about and fishing.









There were a couple Great Egrets in the area and I managed to get a couple of shots.


While watching the terns and snowy whites I obatined a couple of shots of the cormorants fishing.  I found a low spot on some rocks and simply sat and waited for them to get a little closer to fill the shot.


After watching the terns and snowy whites for quite some time I thought I take a look along the tree line for some hawks.  After spending some time walking around the tree line and not seeing any evidence of them being in the area I began my walk back to the center portion.  As I was walking along the dirt trail I heard some movement along the trail just slightly in from of me and to my left side.  I took a look and what did I see but a snake.  He was going at a slow pace and although he appeared to be looking at me as he followed along side the path at a slow pace he didn't really seem to concerned about me.  Well as I continued to walk along the trail next to him I followed the length of him (approx 4-5 feet) and saw what I didn't want to see, a rattle at the end.  I stopped in my tracks and continued to watch as he just continued to follow the trail and though I was just about to walk right past a rattle snake.  Would have been with a foot of him and he gave no warning.  So after the initial surprise I took a few shots :) .  Now you knew I would.

Further along the trail I saw these Great Blue Herons gathering nesting materials so I took a few of this as well.

I had this shot in my mind and brought my gear with me to take it.  So once the sun starting setting I set up my tripod along with my 24-70 lens and hit the timer.  Placed myself in front of the camera and took the shot.  I do say I am pleased with the results.

While walking back to the car I took a couple of shots of the sunset with the camera I had hanging over my shoulder - the one with the 300 f/2.8 and 1.4x attached.


So next time your sitting at home and its a beautiful day outside, get up off your but and take a walk, you just never know what you'll see.  Happy Shooting to you all and don't forget "Have fun".

No comments: