About Me

My photo
Long Beach, California, United States
Welcome to my blog. Looking through my posts you will find that I love and have a passion for photography and although my expertise so to speak is in Sports Action, I have been getting into wildlife and senior portraits. No matter what I'm shooting I want to bring my client the best possible shot I can and give them / you a photograph that you will cherish for a lifetime. If your looking for someone to capture your child in action, to show the intensity and emotion in which your child plays, look no further. Just drop me a line (e-mail) at homerkenpo@aol.com. I cover most areas in Southern Califoria.

Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Lakewood Varsity Football vs Leuzinger

Friday Night Lights

First night game of the season finds me at Lakewood High as they go against Leuzinger.

I have to say this was a very tough game for me and I felt like an armature shooting it.  I brought a two camera setup, which I just don't do.  I had my Canon 7D mark II with the 300 f/2.8L and my Canon 1DX matched with the 70-200 f/2.8L.  I found myself only using the 70-200 a couple of times and felt I wasn't getting the shots I wanted with the 7D mark II, so I decided to switch lens and go with the 1DX and 300 f/2.8.  The down side is I lost a lot of range by using the 1DX, which is a full frame camera.  I will admit I am happy with the shots that did come out and how the 1DX handled the noise, just not so happy with the lack of range.  I can now see why so many photographers sold their 300 f/2.8 to get the 400 f/2.8 when the 1DX first came out.

Another issue I had was I kept pushing the wrong button while trying to focus.  I have the camera set up for back button focus (BBF), but I kept hitting the exposure button, which is right next to the button I have setup for the BBF, which was just killing my shots.  Needless to say I was getting rather frustrated with it.  I need to do some adjustments prior to the next game and hopefully clear the issue up.

Finally the team I cover, Lakewood High, had a rough time moving the ball and didn't make a lot of open field plays and they missed a bunch of passes.  Hard to really capture the action when your team isn't giving you much, but I did walk away with some nice shots.

Here are my favorites from the game.













No comments: