About Me

My photo
Long Beach, California, United States
Welcome to my blog. Looking through my posts you will find that I love and have a passion for photography and although my expertise so to speak is in Sports Action, I have been getting into wildlife and senior portraits. No matter what I'm shooting I want to bring my client the best possible shot I can and give them / you a photograph that you will cherish for a lifetime. If your looking for someone to capture your child in action, to show the intensity and emotion in which your child plays, look no further. Just drop me a line (e-mail) at homerkenpo@aol.com. I cover most areas in Southern Califoria.

Saturday, February 14, 2009

Bolsa Chica Wet Lands - second attempt

The last time I was here I met a photographer who mentioned that there is usually a lot of activity where the salt water and fresh water meet, so I started by taking the 3/4 mile walk to the area. This first group of shots were taken as I walked along the trail, which ran along Pacific Coast Highway.






When I got to where the salt water and fresh water meet I was hoping for more activity, but there was just nothing going on. I waited for a bit and caught a shot of this pelican and seagull flying just overhead.



This was taken as I walked back towards the parking lot and where the foot bridge is located. I he came across the water very fast, so I just quickly raised my camera and began shooting. This one is my favorite as his wings are just barely above the water.

I was very pleased with this shot. I did get a nice sequence of him coming in for a landing and this is my favorite out of the series. I shooting from the foot bridge when I took this.



The following four shots were taken from the foot bridge that crossed the water way.









This Egret was close to the shore and fishing. I got as close as I could and just waited and watched. I was hoping to capture him bringing up a fish, but I wasn't lucky on this venture. I just took some shots as he moved very slowing from one spot to the next. I was able though to get some shots of him taking off. I posted my favorite here below.





As the sun went down and got closer to the horizon this group of birds would fly from one spot to the next. I just waited for them to move to take these.









4 comments:

jamiekoppi said...

Amazing... they are all great photos!!

Al Quackenbush said...

Jim, you snagged some wonderful images. The actions shots are great and the lighting is spot on. You found a nice spot with a lot of activity. This time of year makes it a challenge. Well done! You had better luck than I did when I was last there. Awesome!

Al

Lisa Walsh said...

I really love the 3rd image, Jim. The DOF is just wonderful!

kymberli q. said...

Wow! There are too many beautiful shots here to name them all! Great eye, Jim!! Just beautiful!