About Me

My photo
Long Beach, California, United States
Welcome to my blog. Looking through my posts you will find that I love and have a passion for photography and although my expertise so to speak is in Sports Action, I have been getting into wildlife and senior portraits. No matter what I'm shooting I want to bring my client the best possible shot I can and give them / you a photograph that you will cherish for a lifetime. If your looking for someone to capture your child in action, to show the intensity and emotion in which your child plays, look no further. Just drop me a line (e-mail) at homerkenpo@aol.com. I cover most areas in Southern Califoria.

Monday, May 18, 2009

Long Beach Middle School Soccer Championships

This past Saturday I photographed the Long Beach Middle School Soccer Championship Games held at Wilson High School. There are two divisions for each the boys and girls soccer teams, which meant 4 games, back-to-back-to-back-to-back. I knew it would be a very long day.

For most middle school soccer games there's usually not a bunch of people attending, which gives me a wider choice of position I can shoot from, but for these championship games I was very limited as to where I could position myself. Additional I will only shoot one team, but for these games I was capturing as much action and as many players from both teams as I could. So with all of that said I decided to position myself near one goal, keeping the sun behind me. I knew that at the half they would change sides, which would give me opportunities to capture additioanl players.

For these games I was armed with the 300 f/2.8, which I used my 1.4x on and then on my second camera body I used my 70-200 f/2.8. The wheather was a mixture of light to dark overcast skys to sunny and would constantly change throughout the four games. I kept my ISO set to 200 while I shot in aperture priority at f/2.8 and f/4.0, which was with my 300.

Division II Boys Championship Game

Newcomb Spartans vs Lindsey Falcons










Division I Boys Championship Game

Washington Patriots vs Jefferson Jaguars






Division II Girls Championship Game

Cubberley Cubs vs Newcomb Spartans



Division I Girls Championship Game

Bancroft Bruins vs Stanford Hawks







9 comments:

Al Quackenbush said...

Nice, Jim! That first set really pops. For having limited mobility I'd say you captured some great shots. I know it can be frustrating not being able to roam where you want/need, but there are some fantastic shots in here. I love the goalie in mid-air and the young player chasing down the ball after... awesome imagery. I have to say I am envious of that lens... 300 f/2.8 is on my wish list for this year, that's for sure.

Cheers,
Al

Christina said...

LOVE Your work! Awesome!

kymberli q. said...

As always, just great! They are always so crisp and sharp! I love it!! The colors really pop too!

Jennifer said...

WOW, what a great set of pictures!! I love ALL of your work :)

Wendy said...

Holy Cow, again, I bow to the King of Action Photogaphy. I am humbled to know the best youth sports photographer I will ever meet. Keep up the awesome work, I love them!!!

Anne Kiner said...

Love your photos...did you take one of the Newcomb girls team? As a mom from the team we'd love to have one of those...

Jim, "Homer" said...

Yes Anne, I still need to finish editing. I will upload soon I hope.

Anonymous said...

limited mobility? you shoot much better than most young agile people my age. did you have a degree in photography or are you self-taught? either way your photos are super good.

gate valves said...

what great shots! you really freezed them hard! i wonder what kind of lens and camera are you using. Great posts.