About Me

My photo
Long Beach, California, United States
Welcome to my blog. Looking through my posts you will find that I love and have a passion for photography and although my expertise so to speak is in Sports Action, I have been getting into wildlife and senior portraits. No matter what I'm shooting I want to bring my client the best possible shot I can and give them / you a photograph that you will cherish for a lifetime. If your looking for someone to capture your child in action, to show the intensity and emotion in which your child plays, look no further. Just drop me a line (e-mail) at homerkenpo@aol.com. I cover most areas in Southern Califoria.

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Nerd Birds U12 Girls Softball

I've been asked by my sister to come out and shoot her softball team, which she is coaching and her daughter (my niece) is on, and put together a slide show for them. I've done this in the past and have sold the dvd slide shows to the parents. Not something that will make me rich but fun none the less and something I enjoy doing.

These first three shots are of their two pitchers. My technique to capture great shots of pitchers is to take the shots while their warming up at the beginning of an inning. As they warm up I will kneel behind the catcher and slightly off to one side to get a unobstructed direct view of the pitcher. Now there is a slight risk when doing this because a missed ball by the catcher can hit you hard, so if you do try this technique, please be careful and be very aware of what's going on. Just go into this knowing that you will get hit and it will only hurt for a little bit. Well at least that's what I tell the kids.
For these shots I used my 70-200 f/2.8L.


Now for some shots of the batters. The best shots of a batter will always, or at least almost always, have the ball in the shot. A better shot is when you have a bob (ball on bat) shot, which I came pretty close to on this first shot.
For these and the remaining shots I used my 300 f/2.8L.





These last three shots are of my niece, who I very much wish would keep her eyes open, although she is getting so much better with catching and hitting. Oh and in this first shot you see a bob (ball on bat), woot woot.





3 comments:

Unknown said...

GREAT SHOTS!!!!!!
I am loving that pink helmet, lol!
The last one with the ball in the air is priceless! So so cool and the crop/comp is perfect.

Kristi said...

You rock!! These are wonderful and I am so jealous of your weather there. I really wish my daughter was playing this year. Great job, Homer. Love the bunting one with her eyes closed.

jamiekoppi said...

Those are awesome. I love seeing the facial expressions in each shot.
Great Job!