About Me

My photo
Long Beach, California, United States
Welcome to my blog. Looking through my posts you will find that I love and have a passion for photography and although my expertise so to speak is in Sports Action, I have been getting into wildlife and senior portraits. No matter what I'm shooting I want to bring my client the best possible shot I can and give them / you a photograph that you will cherish for a lifetime. If your looking for someone to capture your child in action, to show the intensity and emotion in which your child plays, look no further. Just drop me a line (e-mail) at homerkenpo@aol.com. I cover most areas in Southern Califoria.

Friday, July 3, 2009

Bolsa Chica Wetlands

My sports shooting has slowed down quite a bit and last week I dropped off both of my cameras at the Canon Service Center in Irvine for a good sensor cleaning before my trip to Lake Havasu. So when I picked them up on Thursday I decided to hit the road early today and see if I can do a little bird shooting.

There is a site / forum I frequent, which has various photographer's who live locally posting shots of the Forster's Tern and Black Skimmer at the Bolsa Chica Wetlands. So I thought I go out with my buddies (cameras), who I missed very much, and see what I could get. My focus was the Terns and Skimmers.

So take a look at what I ended up with and let me know if my adventure was successful. I think it was.





The Great Heron


A few shots of the Green Heron.



One of the birds I really wanted to capture in flight and doing it's thing, which is skimming the water, is the Black Skimmer. I have to say for this being my first time trying to capture this bird in pictures I was very happy with the results. It is very interesting watching this bird skim the water as it flies.





5 comments:

kymberli q. said...

These are just gorgeous, Jim! Outstanding shots!!

Liz said...

These are all so great!

Lisa Walsh said...

1, 3, 8 & 10 are wonderful! Love the colors, DOF and the reflection in 8.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. I always get so excited when you post your new material.

Chuck Babbitt said...

Jim,
These are beautiful shots. I am going to be visiting So Cal next weekend and I was thinking about shooting at B.C. and I just came across your work. One thing, the Green Heron is a Black-Crowned Night Heron. Congratulations on some great captures.