About Me

My photo
Long Beach, California, United States
Welcome to my blog. Looking through my posts you will find that I love and have a passion for photography and although my expertise so to speak is in Sports Action, I have been getting into wildlife and senior portraits. No matter what I'm shooting I want to bring my client the best possible shot I can and give them / you a photograph that you will cherish for a lifetime. If your looking for someone to capture your child in action, to show the intensity and emotion in which your child plays, look no further. Just drop me a line (e-mail) at homerkenpo@aol.com. I cover most areas in Southern Califoria.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Lakewood Varsity vs Leuzinger

The last game of pre-season was against Leuzinger, who really didn't stand a chance against Lakewood who won 55-0 at the final whistle.




The good thing that came out of this game is everyone got to play and get some game time under the lights.




Now I still haven't used my flash and have been avoiding it since I don't really care for the way they look, although I think our opening season away game against Wilson High this Friday will bring my lights out of hiding. Lakewood's field is pretty dark and if my memory holds true I believe Wilson's field is even darker, so we'll see what happens.




For this game I again set my camera manually to ISO 3200, f/2.8, and a shutter of 1/320. Now I'm often asked what I think about the 70-200 f/2.8, since most people can't afford the 300 f/2.8, which is very costly (took me a long time to save up for that beast). I will say the 70-200 is more than capable of capturing great shots under the lights as long as you work with the lens. What it comes down to is positioning and as a matter of fact, you are more likely to capture big plays that come to close, which takes people like me out of the mix due to range. If you position yourself properly and wait for the action, you can and will get some good action shots. So have fun, get out there, and shoot.









I'm liking how some of these look with a b&w action I put together, so here are a few to share.



3 comments:

Cynthia said...

Thanks for the additional information on the camera settings. I love your pics. If can only get that close.

Cynthia said...

Where do set your focus point, center? ~Thanks

Jim, "Homer" said...

Thanks Cynthia, yes I normally set my focal point center (single), but will sometimes move to either side if I'm anticipating a paticular play where I want my subject on one side of the frame (usually when a player is running to the side of the field and has a defender chasing him / I'm trying to capture both players equally without having the ball carrier in the cetner of the shot).