About Me

My photo
Long Beach, California, United States
Welcome to my blog. Looking through my posts you will find that I love and have a passion for photography and although my expertise so to speak is in Sports Action, I have been getting into wildlife and senior portraits. No matter what I'm shooting I want to bring my client the best possible shot I can and give them / you a photograph that you will cherish for a lifetime. If your looking for someone to capture your child in action, to show the intensity and emotion in which your child plays, look no further. Just drop me a line (e-mail) at homerkenpo@aol.com. I cover most areas in Southern Califoria.

Friday, March 21, 2008

Lakewood Track vs Wilson

Lakewood's first league track meet against Wilson High School. It was a great afternoon to be out competing and photographing these athletes in action. Today I intended on focusing my attention on the pole vaulters, but while I waited for their event to start I shot some of the runners.

Now I don't know what to say about this opening shot, but will say that he could possibly add a few seconds on his time if he'd put that thing back in his mouth.








Once the pole vault event started I stayed there during the rest of the meet to get all of Lakewood's pole vaulters. And of course I took shots of Wilson's vaulters as well.




This young lady was going for the school's record, which is her record from last year. During her junior year she broke the school's record twice at a final height of 9'. During this event she had already matched it and was going for a new school record of 9' 6". She did great but unfortunately didn't make it. As this is only the first league meet of the season, there is no doubt that she will break it before the season is over.




These two shots were taken on the opposite or landing side of the mat. I just wanted to get some different angles and see get more faces in the shots.





Moved back and shot some vertical shots when these guys started jumping around the 12' mark. I wanted to show the height and control these athletes have at this angle.









2 comments:

Al Quackenbush said...

Jim,

Nice shots! I think the ones at th eend where you showed the height of the jump are fantastic! I would love to see a few from the ground up!! That would show some serious perspective. I love how you get the action stopped so well. Coffee is a must soon!

I truly enjoyed chatting with you last weekend. Great advice and just nice to network. It's been a busy couple of weeks, but I am so glad that I got to check out your blog tonight!

Cheers,
Al

Lisa Walsh said...

LOL at that first one!

Beautiful DOF...it's so nice and creamy.