About Me

My photo
Long Beach, California, United States
Welcome to my blog. Looking through my posts you will find that I love and have a passion for photography and although my expertise so to speak is in Sports Action, I have been getting into wildlife and senior portraits. No matter what I'm shooting I want to bring my client the best possible shot I can and give them / you a photograph that you will cherish for a lifetime. If your looking for someone to capture your child in action, to show the intensity and emotion in which your child plays, look no further. Just drop me a line (e-mail) at homerkenpo@aol.com. I cover most areas in Southern Califoria.

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Belmont Shores Women's Rugby vs Long Beach Coast

Belmont Shores Women's Rugby.
Last year while looking for a rugby team to to shoot to add to my portfolio I found this women's team, which was local. After making contact with the teams manager I attended a game and shot some action. Unfortuintly I found them late in the season and was only able to attend one game, which meant I had to wait a year for their next season. Well lucky for me they have a fall season and have two local games.
The first local game was against Long Beach Coast Women's Rugby. Here are some shots from this frist game. The next game will be next Sunday. I wasn't too happy with the action I obtained from this game. Don't get me wrong, I am happy with the results, but it's just not what I wanted. I was hoping for some harder action with greater expression. Hopefully next Sunday I can get some better action and share here.
I'm still learning the game and not sure about many of the terms used in rugby. These first two shots are when one team throws the ball in (somewhat like soccer). They have to throw it down the middle of each team and each team will raise one or two of their players up in an attempt to get the ball back. So enjoy and hopefully I'll have more to post next week.


Here's some of the action of women's rugby.

These girls play a tough game and can get down and dirty with the best of them.



Making a fast run for daylight and the endzone

Just not quite fast enough



Just a couple of running action with some nice facial expressions.


5 comments:

Lisa Walsh said...

Nice! Some excellent compositions here, and great action, of course. The first two shots are of a "line out". A line out is when they throw the ball after it's gone OOB.

A "try" is when they score.

A "scrum" is when both teams get together to re-start play.

A "ruck" is when someone gets tackled and their teammates push the other team off.

A "maul" is when they push their teammate down the field with the ball.

Hope that helps!

Lisa Walsh said...

I should add...Hot Husband helped me with the definitions.

Anonymous said...

Jim
Some great shots. Rugby's fairly easy to understand after you've been around it for about 5-8 years. Your luck there's a lot of great rugby teams out by you.
Tim (aka Hot Husband)

Misty Jones Photography said...

Great job!!! You definitely know how to catch the action!

Anonymous said...

Do you guyz giv scholarship for playing rugby?!