About Me

My photo
Long Beach, California, United States
Welcome to my blog. Looking through my posts you will find that I love and have a passion for photography and although my expertise so to speak is in Sports Action, I have been getting into wildlife and senior portraits. No matter what I'm shooting I want to bring my client the best possible shot I can and give them / you a photograph that you will cherish for a lifetime. If your looking for someone to capture your child in action, to show the intensity and emotion in which your child plays, look no further. Just drop me a line (e-mail) at homerkenpo@aol.com. I cover most areas in Southern Califoria.

Saturday, May 2, 2009

Nerd Birds III

I went out today to shoot my third game of the Nerd Birds, which is my niece's team. I wanted one more game to get more variety of shots for the dvd slide show that I will be putting together for my sister who is coaching the team.

These first two shots will be the opening scene of the slide show and rotate as the first fades into the second. I've done this shot before with the whole team but always seem to cut someone out. So for this team I decided to divide the team into two groups and shoot them individually, that way no one is left out.

These are always fun shots to get prior to the game. When shooting any team sport you just never know what you'll end up with or how the team your shooting will do, so what I like to do is capture various action shots while the team is warming up. The next several shots were taken while the girls were taking pop flies. The first two I played with then a bit first.




Various action shots during the game.


Since I was using my 1.4x with the 300 I wanted to try some tight shots. I was positioned just past first base using my 300 f/2.8 and 1.4x attached, which gave me very tight shots. All of these have minimal crop to them.



I've seen this shot before and wanted to try it out. Since there's no fences in the outfield I positioned myself behind the center fielder to take the below shots. It was tough timing the ball from that distance. I had to watch for the batters swing.
Almost a bob (ball on bat).

5 comments:

CMR photography said...

Jim these are great I really like the close ups nice work

kymberli q. said...

Great shots as usual, Jim. I just really noticed your watermark for the first time and it is GENIUS!!

pressure vessels said...

these shots are really amazing! I have a lot of trouble in capturing images using my Nikon D60. I wonder what camera and lens are you using?

Jim, "Homer" said...

Thanks a bunch. Hey presure vessels, I am currently using a Canon Mark IIn along with the Canon 300 f/2.8L IS lens. For these shots I also had my 1.4x tele-concerter attached to get a tighter shot.

Wendy said...

You must have people looking over your shoulder constantly to see what you just captured. The kids must flip out when they see themselves on your blog. Keep going, you are going to have a great full time job when you retire from your real job :)