About Me

My photo
Long Beach, California, United States
Welcome to my blog. Looking through my posts you will find that I love and have a passion for photography and although my expertise so to speak is in Sports Action, I have been getting into wildlife and senior portraits. No matter what I'm shooting I want to bring my client the best possible shot I can and give them / you a photograph that you will cherish for a lifetime. If your looking for someone to capture your child in action, to show the intensity and emotion in which your child plays, look no further. Just drop me a line (e-mail) at homerkenpo@aol.com. I cover most areas in Southern Califoria.

Friday, March 27, 2009

El Dorado Park

After I got home from work today I decided to take a walk around El Dorado Park and see what I can see. Now be warned that I don't know what their all called. I need to give a bit more effort in identifying these birds, but it's late and I'm tired.

These first two are your normal visitors to El Dorado, but I've never seen the third bird pictured below, so if any of you viewers know, please post a comment telling me.


I've been in this park numerous times and have observed these guys standing in open fields quite often and never understood why. Now I've heard that they do eat rodents and gofers, but have never seen it. After watching this one land I decided to work my way towards him bit by bit. I stayed low and would crawl or scoot closer every few minutes until I got close enough to get some shots without scaring him off.

He started by standing there for quite some time listening and looking. I continued to wait patiently hoping to get some shots of him catching a meal. After about 30-45 minutes he darted his head down into a hole and came up with his prize.



For this last shot it was as if he was displaying his catch to me like a puppy with a bone.

6 comments:

Al Quackenbush said...

Great shots Jim! The third bird is a black-crowned night heron. When they are young they are brown and white. You'll see them a lot, too.

Nice capture with the great blue heron! That's a fat gopher he has. Quite the meal!!

Krista said...

Absolutely awesome shots! Love the DOF...these are fantastic!
Your patience surely paid off. Way to go!

Lisa Walsh said...

Those pictures are awsume.

Lisa Walsh said...

You're my hero. The Heron with the rodent is AMAZING! I can't a single get a picture of them, much less an entire series of them searching for dinner.

Mark said...

Sucks to be the rodent

kymberli q. said...

Wow! These shots are incredible! Love the 3rd one...my favorite! That poor gopher. :( Great capture, though!