About Me

My photo
Long Beach, California, United States
Welcome to my blog. Looking through my posts you will find that I love and have a passion for photography and although my expertise so to speak is in Sports Action, I have been getting into wildlife and senior portraits. No matter what I'm shooting I want to bring my client the best possible shot I can and give them / you a photograph that you will cherish for a lifetime. If your looking for someone to capture your child in action, to show the intensity and emotion in which your child plays, look no further. Just drop me a line (e-mail) at homerkenpo@aol.com. I cover most areas in Southern Califoria.

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Mustangs - White Sox #1

My first hired baseball job of the year. When it comes to baseball most of my work comes from word of mouth. Practically all of my baseball parents are people who have hired me from previous years, which is great.

This is the third year this parent has hired me to photograph her child in action. Now this year he has moved up to the next level (Mustangs) and is the little guy on the team. When I shoot these games I never know what to expect and get what action I can. Unfortunately this kid started the first three innings on the bench and only got up to bat once and didn't even swing the bat. Under those circumstances I will do my best to get some good action of the player for the parent. I do have a few tricks that I use to get the action when there's normally not much to go around. Since I'm all about sharing I will tell you what I do. When I'm dealing with a kid that's not getting much action I will create my own. What I mean is I'll take some shots while he / she is warming up. Sometimes this will be the only action a player may see, so as a sports photographer it's very important to capture what you can when you can.

So hopefully this is the first for many this baseball season. Enjoy.









Here are a few shots of various action to share.




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

GReat shots.

Al Quackenbush said...

Jim,

Sweet images. I really love how you were able to handle the harsh contrast of the day. You captured great color and great stoppage of the action. That last image is superb!

Cheers,
Al

Ken said...

Lol, I shoot warmups for the same reason! I always feel like I am cheating but sometimes its the only way to get action shots even when a kid is a starter. You never know if he is going to be involved in a play or if you might miss it.

These are great. I need to pursue this aspect of the 'business'

Ken

Lisa Walsh said...

Fantastic as always, Jim! That one kid needs to keep his tongue in his mouth, lol. Great timing in that last image.

Jim, "Homer" said...

Thanks everyone, I was somewhat pleased with my first baseball for the season, considering the lack of game time with this young one.

When I see kids with tougues sticking out I always get concerned with them biting it.