About Me

My photo
Long Beach, California, United States
Welcome to my blog. Looking through my posts you will find that I love and have a passion for photography and although my expertise so to speak is in Sports Action, I have been getting into wildlife and senior portraits. No matter what I'm shooting I want to bring my client the best possible shot I can and give them / you a photograph that you will cherish for a lifetime. If your looking for someone to capture your child in action, to show the intensity and emotion in which your child plays, look no further. Just drop me a line (e-mail) at homerkenpo@aol.com. I cover most areas in Southern Califoria.

Thursday, December 11, 2008

Long Beach Middle School Girls Track Meet - Field Events

If you are interested in viewing and purchasing pictures from this event, just click on the above title.

Long Beach had their girls middle school All-City Finals today for field events at Lakewood High School. The events covered during this were the high jump, long jump, and shot put. Since I pretty much captured all of the girls throwing the shot put during their league meet, I spent my time shooting the long and high jumps.

Due to budget cuts with the school district the All-City Finals were held after school. The field events were held today (Tuesday) with the track events being held tomorrow. Today the field events started at 4pm with a face setting sun.


These two shots were taken from the back side of the high jump and while they were competing.


I did take various shots of the girls doing the long jump, but my focus was on the landing. I wanted to capture the sand as it sprayed up and outward. Now I was shooting at a much higher ISO (1000-1600) to give me a decent shutter speed. Also for these I was kneeling very low on the track to capture the right angle of the landing.


9 comments:

Denise Marie Olson said...

Dang, disregard my last post....these ladies are middle school? boy, I'm getting old!!! awesome shots of the sand pit. Love it!!!

Lisa Walsh said...

Jim I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the long jump shots!!!!! SO cool!

CMR photography said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CMR photography said...

Jim as well as becoming a huge fan of your work I am really starting to like the long jump shots the timing is superb!!

Misty Jones Photography said...

Jim these are fantastic!!! Great job on all of them!

Al Quackenbush said...

Jim, I always dig your long jump shots. These are great! You can almost feel the impact.

Denise said...

Jim, your work is always absolutely amazing!!!!!

Nancy Porfirio said...

These are absolutely wonderful! I love the sand shots ...amazing!

Don Simon said...

Great images, so now that you posted those, I am throwing the ones that I took in the trash, either that taking a mulligan now that I see what a quality track shoot look like