About Me

My photo
Long Beach, California, United States
Welcome to my blog. Looking through my posts you will find that I love and have a passion for photography and although my expertise so to speak is in Sports Action, I have been getting into wildlife and senior portraits. No matter what I'm shooting I want to bring my client the best possible shot I can and give them / you a photograph that you will cherish for a lifetime. If your looking for someone to capture your child in action, to show the intensity and emotion in which your child plays, look no further. Just drop me a line (e-mail) at homerkenpo@aol.com. I cover most areas in Southern Califoria.

Saturday, March 21, 2009

California Relays

My son was invited to attend the California Relays held this last Saturday at Cerritos College. He participated in the discus and shot put.

This is a huge relay consisting of both high school athletes and college athletes and really opened his eyes as to the level of competition there is and what he will face if he makes CIF championships.

He started the event with the discus throw with his best being 130 for the day, which was 1 foot less than his personal best. He did not place in this event, but hopefully knows what he needs to work on.

Next was the shot put. He did very well in this event adding one foot to his personal best going from 42 to 43'. Although he increased his personal best he did not place in this as well.

Either way, I'm very proud of him and can't tell anyone how much I enjoy watching him compete.






As I normally do, while waiting for my son's shot put event to start I managed to take some shots of the long jumpers. These young ladies were competing at the college level.








I also managed to get a couple of shots of this young college athlete during the high jump. She had already won her event and was going for height now.

I decided to take two different shots to show how background can either add or take away from a shot. The first shot had the field and empty gray sky as a background. In the second shot I moved so that the stadium would be in the background, which added to the event and color of the background. I prefer the second shot much more.

2 comments:

kymberli q. said...

These are awesome as usual!!!! What a great honor for your son to be invited! He is soooo going to appreciate these photos when he is older, if he doesn't already. What a great gift of memories.

Lisa Walsh said...

wow, jim! Thos picters are rely cool! I wish I coud take picters like that.