About Me

My photo
Long Beach, California, United States
Welcome to my blog. Looking through my posts you will find that I love and have a passion for photography and although my expertise so to speak is in Sports Action, I have been getting into wildlife and senior portraits. No matter what I'm shooting I want to bring my client the best possible shot I can and give them / you a photograph that you will cherish for a lifetime. If your looking for someone to capture your child in action, to show the intensity and emotion in which your child plays, look no further. Just drop me a line (e-mail) at homerkenpo@aol.com. I cover most areas in Southern Califoria.

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Lakewood Track vs Jordan

Lakewood and Jordan, my two kids schools. Today was the day that they both competed against each other as schools only. Although they both throw the shot put, they do not compete against each other directly. I will share some shots of them at the end of this post.

I'll start with a few shots from girls shot put.



When I shoot the runners I tend to look for a paticular shot. I try to avoid the straight on shot, as I feel it doesn't add excitement and impact to the shot. I like to shoot the runners while their on the turn of the track as you can see in the following shots. I will position myself anywhere from halfway to the end of the turn to get the shot and either sit or kneel for a low perspective.

What I'm looking for is the tilt of the runners as they run the turn. I will also shoot either a two or three shot sequence to get a shot of them in the air and with the dirt coming up from the track as their foot leaves the ground.





For these next two shots I wanted to catch the depth of the race. These were both taken during the 800m race and as they approached the finish line. I didn't want a head-on shot so I moved slightly to the side to show other runners in the background, which gave me the depth I was looking for.

These next two shots were been adapting to the situation. For the last two years I have put together a slideshow for the track teams banquet. I try my best to get as many of the athletes as possible. This year has been a bit rough since my daughter has started throwing for her high school, so I haven't been able to get as many of the runners as I would have liked.

The following two shots were taken during the 200m race. There were multiple runners from Lakewood in each of these races and I wanted to get each of them during their races, so what I did was take a few of these runners just after the turn and cropped horizontal, which gave me these two shots.


When shooting track there are often times when the runners get too close for a full body shot. This is not a problem, just crop tighter for a more sportrait and personal shot, which works very well as you can see in these three shots.


What would a post on track be without a few shots of my kids, so here are a few shots of my son and daughter.




I don't get too many shots of my two kids together, so I was very happy when they both cooperated and gave me this shot.

3 comments:

kymberli q. said...

Wow, Jim! The first shots of the running were SPECTACULAR, but then when I saw the horizontal ones with the three side by side....AMAZING! Those are priceless!! Some of your best ever, in my opinion!!

Love the shot of your beautiful children. So glad that they cooperated and they will be too, someday. :)

kymberli q. said...

P.S. They are not really "children", but you know what I mean. LOL

Anonymous said...

These images are dynamite. You are obviously very talented and it looks like you are working with top of the line glass. I recently had to shoot events similar to the ones in this post and the instructions you shared helped me out tremendously.
Though it will be a while before mine look as good as yours.