About Me

My photo
Long Beach, California, United States
Welcome to my blog. Looking through my posts you will find that I love and have a passion for photography and although my expertise so to speak is in Sports Action, I have been getting into wildlife and senior portraits. No matter what I'm shooting I want to bring my client the best possible shot I can and give them / you a photograph that you will cherish for a lifetime. If your looking for someone to capture your child in action, to show the intensity and emotion in which your child plays, look no further. Just drop me a line (e-mail) at homerkenpo@aol.com. I cover most areas in Southern Califoria.

Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Phoenix Zoo

A little more than six months ago the wife and I helped move our son to Arizona for a job opportunity he had.  I have to say we both had our doubts on if it would last, but I believe as a parent you need to support your kids and their decisions and grow based on their choices, weather good or bad.

Needless to say things didn't work out and it was now time to help move him back to California, so this past week the wife and I took a road trip to Tempe Arizona to help move him back, but before we started packing things up we decided to take a day and visit the Phoenix Zoo.

The Phoenix Zoo was actually a nice zoo and we all enjoyed it a lot, even with all the walking it was a nice visit.  Well when I go on trip I do not leave my gear at home, which means I brought my 300 f/2.8 with me and brought it during out visit to the zoo.

All of the below shots were taken with my 7d mark II and 300 f/2.8L.

Prairie dog

The one above and below are of the Burrowing Owl


Throughout the zoo there were these cactus that were being used by various birds for nesting.  I was able to capture this bird flying out of one of the nests.

Catus

For me personally there is nothing better than the big cats at the zoo and the Phoenix Zoo did not disappoint.  I was able to get some great shots of the very majestic Lions.





Going hand in hand with the Lions are the Tigers and again, he did not disappoint.  The area he was housed was a nice setup with a rather large tree in the middle of it.  Well while watching this Tiger make his rounds he came to the tree at one point and simply jump up and climbed it.  I know Tigers are capable to climbing trees, but that is a sight I've never seen and thought it was pretty cool, but he didn't stop there.  He continued through the tree to the upper branches and came to an opening about 15-20' away from the fence enclosure while looking at all the people enjoying this sight.  At one point he took a good long hard look at me (below shot), which I have to say was rather scary and cool all at the same time.


My daughter didn't come on this trip, so above you see two of the three most favorite people in my life.  Thanks for sharing this day with me.