About Me

My photo
Long Beach, California, United States
Welcome to my blog. Looking through my posts you will find that I love and have a passion for photography and although my expertise so to speak is in Sports Action, I have been getting into wildlife and senior portraits. No matter what I'm shooting I want to bring my client the best possible shot I can and give them / you a photograph that you will cherish for a lifetime. If your looking for someone to capture your child in action, to show the intensity and emotion in which your child plays, look no further. Just drop me a line (e-mail) at homerkenpo@aol.com. I cover most areas in Southern Califoria.

Saturday, May 2, 2015

Bolsa Chica Wetlands - Walkabout

Needed to get out for some shooting so I decided to hit my favorite stomping ground - the Wetlands.  This is nothing new, but I never know what to expect while out on one of my Wetland walkabouts and this one didn't disappoint.

I usually park in the east parking lot, which is directly across from the entrance to Bolsa Chica State Beach.  I'll start by checking the activity along the foot bridge and minus any activity I'll take one of two pathways to the center portion of the wetlands where I'm more likely to see Osprey or other falcons.  It's also in this area where I tend to get more activity from the snowy white egrets.

For this walkabout I decided to take the south pathway, which borders PCH.  Towards the end of this path is a low, but somewhat large tree where Night Crowned Herons tend to stay until later in the evening.  As I approached I found this Green Heron, well at least I believe its a green heron, who allowed me to take a few shots of him


Upon reaching the center portion I saw this GBH (Great Blue Heron) fishing, although he was very inactive he did provide me with a nice shot.


I can handle a lot of creepy things, but there is one thing I do not like and that is spiders.  Along the center portion there is a lot of cactus and these spiders love to place their webs within them and to be honest they do make a cool shot.



In the central portion of the wetlands there is an upper and lower trail.  The upper trail follows the fence line, an area that is off limits, but is also where coyotes will frequent.  The lower portion is along the water and has a few good spots where the Snowy Whites and Great White Egrets will frequent to fish.

There were a few snowy whites fishing and things were pretty calm until this more aggressive snowy white flew in and began chasing the others around.  Gave me some great opportunities for some sweet shots.







No comments: