About Me

My photo
Long Beach, California, United States
Welcome to my blog. Looking through my posts you will find that I love and have a passion for photography and although my expertise so to speak is in Sports Action, I have been getting into wildlife and senior portraits. No matter what I'm shooting I want to bring my client the best possible shot I can and give them / you a photograph that you will cherish for a lifetime. If your looking for someone to capture your child in action, to show the intensity and emotion in which your child plays, look no further. Just drop me a line (e-mail) at homerkenpo@aol.com. I cover most areas in Southern Califoria.

Monday, June 9, 2008

605 East vs West All-Star Football Classic

To view and order pictures taken during this game, just click on the above title.

This last Saturday I had the opportunity to shoot the 605 East vs West All-Star Football Classic held at Cerritos College. These were the best of the best in high school football in Southern California. It was a pleasure to be on the side line shooting these athlete's in action. The game started at 6:05pm and ended at about 9:45pm. At the end or regulation game time the
score was tied 15-15, which meant overtime. Each team had four attempts to score a touchdown or field goal and couldn't, so the final score after four overtime periods was 15-15.

During the first half of the game I shot in aperture priority at f/2.8 with an ISO of 100. As the second half started the sun started going behind the bleachers and then below the horizon rather quickly. As the sun went down I just continued to increase my ISO to keep a decent shutter speed. By the end of the night I was shooting manual at ISO 3200 with a shutter between 1/400 and 1/600.

I had no purpose in my shooting other than watching a great game and getting some nice action shots of some outstanding athletes, so below are my favorite shots, sorry there are so many.



















Shooting night games is a different beast completely. You shutter speed and white balance change a lot depending on where your shooting and what part of the field your on. Once the sun started going down I would increase my ISO, but as it reached 1600-3200 I started shooting manually at a shutter of 1/400 to 1/600 depending on what part of the field I'm shooting from.






It's a kickoff and I'm watching down field to capture some hard hitting action while the receiving team blocks and attempts to run the ball back, when what do I see, feet flying up and the yell of the fans. I don't know what lead to this but I was able to get two shots of the action.




Normally for me it's all about the action when shooting a game, but recently I've been trying to branch out and shoot things from different angles and perspectives. This next series show a different look of football. Something we all see but don't really pay attention to.









As great as the action can be with football, you still can't have it without the cheerleaders. Here's two of my favorite from the evening.


4 comments:

gsh said...

Great pics... I've been following your blog for some time and really enjoy the action.

Lisa Walsh said...

Wow! LOVE the cheerleader shots! I don't think I've seen anything like those before!

Excellent color and sharpness all around, and I love the yummy DOF!

Al Quackenbush said...

I agree with Lisa... great cheerleader shots, especially number 2. She got some air, huh? Wow. I enjoyed the fact that you shared your different technique with the night shots. Some of my favorites are the ones of the candids - not playing the game - but rather the other stuff. The one football players eyes are so cool. Can't wait to get out and see you in action!

GENO ORTIZ L.M.T. (genoortiz1@hotmail.com): said...

In 1967, I graduated from Santa Fe High School and was honored to be selected as the starting right guard for the North Team in first ever 605 All-Star Game. I had no idea this game is still being played.

I was given a "lifetime pass" to attend all future games, but of course I lost my pass. Your photos, however, have put me on the field once again. I have stories of the "first ever" game, but I know each and every game is a story in itself.

Keep up the great work!!

Geno Ortiz
Pahala, Hawaii
genoortiz1@hotmail.com