About Me

My photo
Long Beach, California, United States
Welcome to my blog. Looking through my posts you will find that I love and have a passion for photography and although my expertise so to speak is in Sports Action, I have been getting into wildlife and senior portraits. No matter what I'm shooting I want to bring my client the best possible shot I can and give them / you a photograph that you will cherish for a lifetime. If your looking for someone to capture your child in action, to show the intensity and emotion in which your child plays, look no further. Just drop me a line (e-mail) at homerkenpo@aol.com. I cover most areas in Southern Califoria.

Sunday, June 1, 2008

Mpix So. Cal Meetup in Carlsbad

I frequent a forum called Mpix and have met a lot of great people and photographers there. Well this last Saturday a group of us who are local (Southern California) met in Carlsbad to meet and share our knowledge. One of the photographers brought a newly married couple who posed for us throughout the day and evening. They were a great couple and a pleasure to work with.

I had a blast just soking up all the other photographers had to share and tried my hand at some portraits. I am very pleased with how my shots turned out but do have a great deal to learn when it come to posing and my lighting setup.







The Rose Petal Toss


This was supposed to be a second attempt at the rose petal toss and Mini wanted to kiss under the falling petals, but the wind wouldn't allow it. They did the toss and kissed but the wind blew all of the petal to the side. So to save the shot I did a tighter crop on "The Kiss".

Not too long ago I did some senior portraits for my god-daughter and used this pose for her, so I suggested it and took a few. Real pleased with how these two turned out.


While we were at the park shooting our models this guy showed up with two iguanas. As soon as Mini saw them she indicated how much she wanted to hold one and get a picture with it. So I went over to the guy and asked. He was very pleasant and open to Mini holding his iguana for a few pictures. What a trooper Mini was.


After doing some park shots and getting some Cold Stone's Ice Cream (Yum Yum), we went to the Oceanside Pier for some sunset shots and to do a little HDR. Now you should know I love to shoot sports action and while we were waiting for everyone to show up I just had to take some surf shots. There were a few people out surfing, but I wanted to get some shots of this young lady who was doing real well.


Here are a few beach shots of Mini and Dan. I've never tried the beach sunset shots and was excited to do so. I pleased with how they turned out but I do need to learn more so I can bring out the beautiful sunset colors more.



Here are some shots of the second couple who modeled for us. As Mini and Dan were, they were also a pleasure to work with.




Mini was such a pleasure to work with. She was very adventurous wanting to run in the water for a shot, even though she was freezing. It was getting dark quick, but I did manage to get a couple of late shots.



The Mpix Southern California Picture Crew

From L-R, California / CeCe / Shelly / Shann / Moose / Homer

4 comments:

Denise Marie Olson said...

oh, it looks like you guys had a blast!!!! Wish I was able to drive down. Nice job on the portraits Homer. Your a natural so all the technie stuff will come easy!!! Great to see what everyone looks like :) Cool.....

Misty Sparks :) said...

Love 'em! The third shot of the first couple is my favorite of them, and the second shot of the second couple is my favorite of them!

Anonymous said...

hey jim the pictures are great! i love the shot where they are throwing the petals up and are laughing its a great picture..all of them are great

Lisa Walsh said...

You've got some great portraits in there! It looks like you had a great time. I can't wait to meet Shann when she comes to NY this Sept.!