About Me

My photo
Long Beach, California, United States
Welcome to my blog. Looking through my posts you will find that I love and have a passion for photography and although my expertise so to speak is in Sports Action, I have been getting into wildlife and senior portraits. No matter what I'm shooting I want to bring my client the best possible shot I can and give them / you a photograph that you will cherish for a lifetime. If your looking for someone to capture your child in action, to show the intensity and emotion in which your child plays, look no further. Just drop me a line (e-mail) at homerkenpo@aol.com. I cover most areas in Southern Califoria.

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Lakewood Boys Varsity Basketball vs Poly

If you would like to view and order pictures from this game, just click on the above post title.

High school basketball has taken off and I have been asked to capture some action shots of the Lakewood boys varsity team. It is times like this when I wish I had the Nikon D3 with it high quality and ability to shoot at very high ISO's. The lighting at Lakewood is terrible at best and really feels as though I'm shooting in a dungeon.

For the first half of this game I shot without a flash with my camera in manual mode (f/2.8, ISO 3200, shutter of 1/250 - 1/320). Actually this is how I shot the first period. During the second period I tried to compensate by shooting at a -2 exposure to get a little faster speed. I would just add those two exposure stops in Lightroom during processing and during the second half it was all with an on-camera flash. I just bounced the flash off the ceiling to avoid the harsh lighting and hard shadows in the background.

Once home I had the chance to take a look at the results and was very disappointed. For the shots I obtained in the first half the pictures were just way to grainy. Not happy with these at all. Now the shots taken from the second half were much better and cleaned up nicely with NoiseWare. The only problem I had with the flash is the recycle rate, which was very slow as I forgot to bring my battery pack (Live and learn).

Here are just two shots from that game to share. I have another game this Friday and will be shooting with the flash and batter pack. This will give me a higher / faster recycle rate and better pictures.

2 comments:

Kristi said...

You never cease to amaze me, Homer. Great job.

Anonymous said...

Jim I hate shooting basketball, if you think that the gyms you are shooting, my twin grand sons play in rec gyms (owned by the county) the lighting at one end of the gym is totally different than the other. But you did get some great shots. I know how you feel about wanting the Nikon with the extra ISOs on the higher end,

thanks for sharing your photos and your knowledge.