About Me

My photo
Long Beach, California, United States
Welcome to my blog. Looking through my posts you will find that I love and have a passion for photography and although my expertise so to speak is in Sports Action, I have been getting into wildlife and senior portraits. No matter what I'm shooting I want to bring my client the best possible shot I can and give them / you a photograph that you will cherish for a lifetime. If your looking for someone to capture your child in action, to show the intensity and emotion in which your child plays, look no further. Just drop me a line (e-mail) at homerkenpo@aol.com. I cover most areas in Southern Califoria.

Monday, October 6, 2008

Friday Night Lights "Lakewood Varsity vs Poly"

To view and order pictures from this game, just click on the above title.

Lakewood vs Poly, what can one say about these two teams. I don't know the exact numbers but believe that Poly has been undefeated in league play for anywhere between 70-80 games. Now a season only consist of 5 games, so you do the math. That's 14 years straight at being undefeated. Don't get me wrong, Poly has great coaching and outstanding players, you don't come this far without it, but I truly think something needs to be asked when a team goes that many games without losing.

All of the high schools in the Moore League have to pull kids from their surrounding area. Most students must live in the schools demographic area in order to attend the school. Now there are always exceptions to this, but the norm is you live in the area to attend the school. This rule doesn't apply to Poly. They are a magnet school and draw students from all over So. Cal, which gives the coaches a much better pool of athletes to choose from. I can't say what the solution is, but I do feel that Poly is in a league of their own and that the other teams in the Moore League just can't compete with them.


With that said, this was a tough game for our boys. They were down 0-25 going into the half and came back during the third quarter scoring two touch downs. It seemed that they were mounting a strong comeback when Poly scored again ending Lakewood's drive. All-in-all our boys played a good hard game.


While both teams were warming up them met mid-field for an exchange of words and some vivid expressions. This was taken during that exchange. Not sure if this is just rough friendship or hatred, but Poly's expression says a lot at how important this game is between the two teams.

Just prior to football season starting I bought a Canon 40D to use as a backup and second camera. I wanted to have the flexibility in having access to my 300 f/2.8 and 70-200 f/2.8 without having to changes lens. Now my first choice would have been the Canon Mark III, but funds just wouldn't allow me to make that upgrade, so I went ahead and bought the 40D.

So far I've taken it out during two night games and have been very pleased with the results. I currently don't have a second flash so had to resort to using the 40D's pop-up flash, which surprisingly enough has done very well.

This first group of shots were taken with the 40D while the last two were taken with my Mk IIn. I'd have to say that I am much happier with the auto white balance I got with the 40D then I did with the Mk IIn, you be the judge.

After scoring their second touchdown, Lakewood goes for 2 and scores.

A much needed touchdown pass.

These last two shots were taken with my Canon Mark IIn with the 300 f/2.8L. The camera was set to manual mode at f/2.8, ISO 3200, shutter 1/320, and white balance on auto.
Poly's quarterback scrambling out of the pocket while looking for an open receiver.


Here is a missed interception by Lakewood at Poly's 20 yd line.

3 comments:

Denise Marie Olson said...

Awesome shots Homer....now I've got to see the 40D with your 300... and I would have to agree with the white balance feature on the 40D. It is nice and pretty close to the real thing....

Anonymous said...

this is gidget,...and the first is the best!!! wow,...you can just tell by that first frame what the rivalry was like and how the game was going to go.....kinda like the ole Banning Carson days, huh? number 53????

kymberli q. said...

Thanks for the sweet comments (as usual), Jim. :) That first shot is so intense and perfect! What a great capture! I hope someone is buying that!! Your sports photography is unreal!