About Me

My photo
Long Beach, California, United States
Welcome to my blog. Looking through my posts you will find that I love and have a passion for photography and although my expertise so to speak is in Sports Action, I have been getting into wildlife and senior portraits. No matter what I'm shooting I want to bring my client the best possible shot I can and give them / you a photograph that you will cherish for a lifetime. If your looking for someone to capture your child in action, to show the intensity and emotion in which your child plays, look no further. Just drop me a line (e-mail) at homerkenpo@aol.com. I cover most areas in Southern Califoria.

Friday, October 10, 2008

Friday Night Lights "Lakewood Varsity vs Cabrillo"

After a tough loss against Poly last week our varsity players needed to get back on track and play some serious football. Well this week they played against Cabrillo. They had a slow start but once Cabrillo showed that they will score if given the chance, our boys got their game together and pushed forward even harder eventually winning 30-8.

I did try something new and different for this game, but you'll have to wait until the end of the post to see what I did (used). Let me say this though, I was very pleased with this new tool and think it will give more people the opportunity to shoot night games.

"Sportrait"

Some nice tight warm-up shots.



"The Action"









The Flash X-Tender

While photographing the Lakewood varsity vs Poly game last week my friend, whom I shoot the Lakewood games with, and I noticed that the local Staff Photographer for the Long Beach Press Telegram, Scott Smeltzer, was using a new flash extender on his flash. We learned that this new extender will extend the power and distance of your flash. It uses a magnifying lens, which is extended out in front of the flash. Scott was able to shoot that game with his ISO set at 800 and a shutter of 1/250. Now I normally have my camera set to ISO 3200 with a shutter speed of 1/320 - 1/400. So the following day my friend ordered two of them from B&Hphotovideo and we tried them out during this game.

Basically this extender is two light alloy pieces that velcro to your flash. Then a magnifying lens is attached by velco to the end of the allow pieces. It is also recommended that this item not be used with anything less than a 300mm lens.



1 comment:

Denise Marie Olson said...

oh my gawd, how cool is that!!!! Homer you've got to show me some shots with your new gigs!!!! soon!!! awesome shots, you really make these kids look like NFL material!!!