About Me

My photo
Long Beach, California, United States
Welcome to my blog. Looking through my posts you will find that I love and have a passion for photography and although my expertise so to speak is in Sports Action, I have been getting into wildlife and senior portraits. No matter what I'm shooting I want to bring my client the best possible shot I can and give them / you a photograph that you will cherish for a lifetime. If your looking for someone to capture your child in action, to show the intensity and emotion in which your child plays, look no further. Just drop me a line (e-mail) at homerkenpo@aol.com. I cover most areas in Southern Califoria.

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Lakewood JV Football vs Jordan

It's been a few weeks since I've been out to a JV game so I was looking forward to capturing some of the action. The JV has had a great season so far and I didn't expect anything less from them for this game. They came out ready to play and put some points on the board rather quickly. It was a great game to watch and shoot.
Let me start with some fun stuff.




The below shot is a perfect example of positioning and background. I positioned myself near the goal posts at the end zone to get some wide shots of the line. What I was looking for was a shot of the full back running towards me through a hole in the offensive line. Well that's not what I got. The Quarterback was getting pressured by the defense and ran out of the pocket towards the sideline while being pursued. I followed the the quarterback and his pursuer taking several shots. As they got to the sideline the quarterback turned and headed for the scrimmage line. It was during this when I shot off a series of shots, this being one of them. What I'm demonstrating with this shot is how background can take away from the shot. Take a look at the shot and you'll see some nice action. Both players are in the air as if floating. The quarterback has the ball looking for a receiver and his pursuer is reaching out as far as he can to get a piece of the quarterback. Notice the jersey in his hand. But what's taking away from this shot is the background. The action somewhat get lost within the background. So when shooting the action, be aware of your background and your positioning.


There are a few shots I try to get of the quarterback and one of them is the sack or near sack. In this shot I positioned myself just off the scrimmage line (offense side) to get some shots of the QB. Our team (red / white) was doing great and I wasn't planning on him getting sacked, well then again I don't think he did either. Needless to say I had my sights on the QB waiting for him to make a play when the hit came. He did get the pass off, which was completed. The point I'm trying to make here is that you can put yourself in the right position for the perfect shot, which doesn't come. On the other hand you can put yourself in the right position for a nice standard shot and then the big one happens. Having the right positioning and knowing when to hit the trigger can give you big action shots.



Just wanted to share these two series of some high flying receptions.



1 comment:

CSI: Photo said...

Jim what is your processing on the first couple of images??