About Me

My photo
Long Beach, California, United States
Welcome to my blog. Looking through my posts you will find that I love and have a passion for photography and although my expertise so to speak is in Sports Action, I have been getting into wildlife and senior portraits. No matter what I'm shooting I want to bring my client the best possible shot I can and give them / you a photograph that you will cherish for a lifetime. If your looking for someone to capture your child in action, to show the intensity and emotion in which your child plays, look no further. Just drop me a line (e-mail) at homerkenpo@aol.com. I cover most areas in Southern Califoria.

Saturday, September 13, 2008

Lakewood Varsity Football vs Peninsula

I had every intention not to go to this game. It was an away game on a Friday afternoon. Yes you heard me right, Friday afternoon (3pm). I had to work and Fridays were usually at minimals when it comes to personnel. I was a bit disappointed that I was going to miss an afternoon varsity game, but that how things go sometimes.

So I'm at work doing my thing when our building does a generator check, which shuts down our computer server. Well, without the server I am unable to input information into our system, which is all I could do at that time. So with no fix in the near future I made arrangements to leave early. I rushed home, got my gear, and headed out for the game. I was very pleased that I was able to make and capture the varsity in action without the bad lightning that is so associated with varsity games. So enjoy the pictures.

As I've said numerous times I will get to a game early to capture some shots of players I don't normally cover. Here is a shot of the kicker warming up. The player catching the ball is a running back, who will catch for the kicker during warm up.



Just a few shots of the receivers while they warmed up.





This was almost a fumbled punt return. Both of these players tried to catch the kickoff and fumbled it briefly until #19 captured it and ran for daylight.




There are no footballs in this shot, but what I like about it is how #19 looks like he is twisting off the head of the other player. OUCH!



A nice fumble recovery.


I really like how this shot turned out. I wanted a shot of the placekicker and kicker in action but with the defender rushing in from the outside, I feel it just pushed this shot to the next level.



#71 is a friend of my son's and played side-by-side with him during their freshmen and sophomore years, but due to an injury my son did not play this year. #71 is a great kid and regardless if he or his family buys pictures I will make extra effort to get nice shots of him in action. In this shot he has a great block while the ball carrier runs past him through the hole. Thought his was a nice open shot of him with the runner in the background.


For me this is one of those money shots. Not in the sense that it's a great capture or shows a lot of action, but it's a shot of a player who's family has supported me during the last two years while shooting Lakewood football. Whenever possible I try to get nice shots of the players who's parents purchase pictures. I had great positioning during this and had an unobstructed view of the center (#55). Having the QB in tight and looking over his shoulder just added to this shot and made it more than just a shot of the center.


When I'm out there shooting football I will have a particular shot that I'm looking for and will pick my positioning based on what I am trying to achieve. When I took this shot I was attempting to capture the defense (red/white) rushing in for the sack, which they did many times during this game. Also when shooting for a particular shot I find that I will get shots that I didn't initially see or plan for. This is one of those shots. Once I got home and started to process my RAW files I saw this capture. At first I passed it over, but I later went back to it and thought with a tighter crop this can make an interesting shot. So here is the end result.


What is a football game without the cheerleaders. I know I have said that before, but cheerleaders do go hand-in-hand with football, especially for the varsity games. They have such energy and give it their all each and every game, so it's only fair that I show them as well.


No comments: