About Me

My photo
Long Beach, California, United States
Welcome to my blog. Looking through my posts you will find that I love and have a passion for photography and although my expertise so to speak is in Sports Action, I have been getting into wildlife and senior portraits. No matter what I'm shooting I want to bring my client the best possible shot I can and give them / you a photograph that you will cherish for a lifetime. If your looking for someone to capture your child in action, to show the intensity and emotion in which your child plays, look no further. Just drop me a line (e-mail) at homerkenpo@aol.com. I cover most areas in Southern Califoria.

Sunday, September 7, 2008

Lakewood Varsity "Under the Lights"

Football isn't official until I shoot my first Varsity game under the lights. So I can now officially say that football season is now here. Lakewood High had their first pre-season game agasint Crenshaw High at home this last Friday. With both the freshmen and JV teams losing the varsity really needed to pull out a win for Lakewood.


I will usually arrive at a game early to get some shots during the teams warm-up. This allows me to get some nice action of the recievers and possibly some nice sportraits (sport portraits) of some of the players. This first shot had some great lightning and just yelled out "Play with me", so I did.

Then there are a few action shots taken before the sun went down and the lights were on.

*Note* To view or purchase pictures from this game just click on the above post title.




The biggest obstacle for shooting varsity games is that their at night. Night games can be real rough as most high school football fields have terrible lights and without the proper gear it is virtually impossible to get some decent action shots. To better understand what is involved in shooting football games at night, please read and view my post titled "Photographing Football"

For my first night game I don't think I did too bad. I did end with some nice captures and was happy with how my gear worked out for me.

All of these shots were shot in manual mode with an aperture of f/2.8, a shutter of 1/400, and an ISO of 3200. I also used my flash, which was set a full power.






No comments: