About Me

My photo
Long Beach, California, United States
Welcome to my blog. Looking through my posts you will find that I love and have a passion for photography and although my expertise so to speak is in Sports Action, I have been getting into wildlife and senior portraits. No matter what I'm shooting I want to bring my client the best possible shot I can and give them / you a photograph that you will cherish for a lifetime. If your looking for someone to capture your child in action, to show the intensity and emotion in which your child plays, look no further. Just drop me a line (e-mail) at homerkenpo@aol.com. I cover most areas in Southern Califoria.

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Belmont Shores Women's Rugby vs San Diego Surfers

Click on the above title to view and order prints from this game.
This last Sunday was another day of women's rugby. I was out shooting the Belmont Shores Landsharks Women's Rugby team as they played agasint the San Diego Surfers. I have to say that the surfers came ready to play and were pumped. The Landscharks held their own during the first half but just didn't seem to want it as much as the surfers, who came back in the second half and won the match. I did get some great action, so take a look and enjoy.
Some "Line-Out" shots
When a ball is throw or kicked out of bounds the team who has possesion of the ball will throw it in, but prior to that, each team will line up perpendicular to the thrower. The thrower will throw the ball down the middle between each team, who will attempt to gain possession of the ball.





I was very pleased with this two shot series. This is the end result of a scrum. The player in blue (San Diego Surfers) just received the ball from the scrum and was in the process of tossing it to another team mate when she was hit and tackled by the player in green (Belmont shores). Now your probably asking yourself, "What the heck is a scrum" Well I'm not sure I can explain it, but I will try. When a penalty is called a scrum if formed. Each team will have several players form a base and face each other. The team that has possession will toss the ball under into the center and under this base while each team using their feet will attempt to kick the back back through their legs to the player at the back of the scrum. This player will get the ball and usually toss it out to another player who will begin the run and forward movement. I hope that makes sence.


A few hard hits / tackles.




These next two shots are a bit misleading. They both appear as though the players are attempting to receive or intercept a pass, which in both of these situations is not the case.

In each of these situations the player in blue (San Diego Surfers) were throwing the ball back to one of their team mates, whom is not pictured.

A few open field runs




2 comments:

Lisa Walsh said...

TONS of sweet action shots there! I always love the facial expressions during a rugby game.

Melissa said...

Hey Jim it's Melissa from Mpix.. Just wanted to say your blog is sweet!! You have some amazing actions going on here.