About Me

My photo
Long Beach, California, United States
Welcome to my blog. Looking through my posts you will find that I love and have a passion for photography and although my expertise so to speak is in Sports Action, I have been getting into wildlife and senior portraits. No matter what I'm shooting I want to bring my client the best possible shot I can and give them / you a photograph that you will cherish for a lifetime. If your looking for someone to capture your child in action, to show the intensity and emotion in which your child plays, look no further. Just drop me a line (e-mail) at homerkenpo@aol.com. I cover most areas in Southern Califoria.

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Torrance Recreation Baseball

My niece asked me to come out to her brother's baseball game. There was a possibility she was going to play and wanted me to watch and get some shots of her. So I did what I do and went to the game to get some action shots of my nephew, who was catching for the first time, and my niece.

Now when I go to shoot a game or even one of my family members I will talk to both coaches and the umpires to obtain permission before going on the field. So I make all of my contacts and start shooting my nephew, niece, and their friend, who is also playing.

The second inning just started when I was approached by two Park Rangers who wanted me to exit the field so they could talk to me. So I do what any normal photographer would do in this situation, I started running. No, just kiding, I did what they asked. First they started asking me questions about who I work for or if I'm freelance. So I explain why I'm there and that I have received persmission from both coaches and the umpires. They continue by saying that they had complaints regarding people taking pictures. I asked them if the complaints were specifically about me, to which they said it wasn't. The further said that it was against the law for me to take pictures and attempt to sell them in the city of Torrance. The bottom line I told them I understand my rights as a photographer and that what I'm shooting is not for sale. They then went on their merry way while I went back on the field to finish the game.

I later found out that while I was talking to the two park rangers, who were standing in front of me, a third park ranger snuck up behind me and kept his hand on his weapon / gas. These guys had me surrounded and were ready to take me down if I made one wrong move. I guess it's a good thing I didn't reach for anything quick.

Well with that said, here are some shots from the game.






The Niece

The Friend

4 comments:

Lisa Walsh said...

As I scroll through this post and look at the images I can't help but think how perfectly they're composed. I realized the other day when I was shooting The Youngest's soccer game that it's just not a sports shot if the ball isn't in it. You always get the ball in yours! I wish we could get together and shoot sports someday!

Stephanie said...

Great captures! I wish that I could say that I can't believe that the rangers gave you such a hard time but sadly, I can. Who would think that a simple camera would make us criminals? I may have to ask for permission to go inside the fence next season. I did with my little one but he was just playing T-ball.

kymberli q. said...

Al told me about this (said he was going to comment later) and I can't believe that! That's crazy. The pictures are fabulous! You are great at sports photography!!

Ken said...

Great pics! How'd you manage with your hands shaking? lol.

No professional courtesy between Rangers and Detectives, eh? Thats amazing. What had to have happened to make them so wary?

Ken