About Me

My photo
Long Beach, California, United States
Welcome to my blog. Looking through my posts you will find that I love and have a passion for photography and although my expertise so to speak is in Sports Action, I have been getting into wildlife and senior portraits. No matter what I'm shooting I want to bring my client the best possible shot I can and give them / you a photograph that you will cherish for a lifetime. If your looking for someone to capture your child in action, to show the intensity and emotion in which your child plays, look no further. Just drop me a line (e-mail) at homerkenpo@aol.com. I cover most areas in Southern Califoria.

Friday, November 7, 2008

"Friday Night Lights" Lakewood vs Wilson

"Homecoming"

This shot pretty much sums it up for the homecoming. There was a huge amount of energy in the stands as well as on the field for this game. The young man in the middle ("H") is my son. He and a couple of friends wanted to paint themselves up, but when they tried to enter the game, the school staff told them to leave and get shirts. So they kept their shirts on and would occasional (twice from what I saw) pull the shirts up to show their school pride. They were really fearful that they would have been thrown out. I was able to capture this shot.
This game started off great. Even though we just had our time change by rolling back an hour, which meant that it was dark well before the beginning of the game. My lighting was doing very well with the action, that is at least for the first three quarters. During the last quarter my batteries ran out, even though I had my quatum pro 2x2 battery pack attached. So I obtained a few new batteries from my photographer friend and continued my work, but something changed and my lighting seem to be very weak and the white balance was real bad and very warm. I tried some different settings but just couldn't correct the problem. I will have to see if it was the batteries or possibly the bulb on the flash. Not sure at the moment.

Any hoot, here are some action shots from the game. Lakewood did a great job during their homecoming and just dominated Wilson. I did shoot this game in manual mode using my flash externder. ISO was at 1000, f/2.8, and a shutter of 1/500 to 1/400. When I shot the cheer leaders I would increase my shutter to 1/1600 to 1/2000, otherwise they would have been blown out.










Normally I stay away from the half-time show. Not because I don't like it or want to shoot it, but I'm usually taking a break or talking to some friends. I at the game to capture some great action and well, I also out there to enjoy myself and spend some time with friends. Now I did say normally I stay away from the half-time show, but this was our homecoming and they tend to do more during half-time. So this time I took some shots of the show. Hope you enjoy these and like the composition. I'd love to hear your comments on these half-time shots.


1 comment:

Apple Laptop Batteries said...

I wish I was at their games.. Seeing it on the photos set wasnt really as exciting..
Being there with adrenaline fully pumped into your vains really tells a lot about how much love we really have for the game. I guess its in our hearts to feel the players pain, the players game, and as a fan hope to make it to fame.. :)