About Me

My photo
Long Beach, California, United States
Welcome to my blog. Looking through my posts you will find that I love and have a passion for photography and although my expertise so to speak is in Sports Action, I have been getting into wildlife and senior portraits. No matter what I'm shooting I want to bring my client the best possible shot I can and give them / you a photograph that you will cherish for a lifetime. If your looking for someone to capture your child in action, to show the intensity and emotion in which your child plays, look no further. Just drop me a line (e-mail) at homerkenpo@aol.com. I cover most areas in Southern Califoria.

Friday, November 14, 2008

Torrance Softball

My niece participated in a softball tournament over this last weekend and I went out to one of her games on Saturday to get some shots of her in action. But first let me say that I'm sorry for the appearance of these pictures. Over the weekend Southern California had several wild fires which really put a huge amount of ash into the air and gave everything a redish orange tint to it. I tried to fix the color, but as you can see I did a horrible job doing so, so I apoligize to you

Now this was a good size tournament and when I got there I did see about three other photographers wroking a few of the fields already. Now it did appear that they were working the tournament and I did want to approach them and let them know that I was only there to shoot my niece and that I wasn't selling any pictures, but they were all tied up and I didn't want to interfere with them. So I began taking some shots. I guess they didn't appreciate this because once their game was finished they came to my niece's game and one of the photographers walked right past me (I was kneeling at the end of the perimeter fence) and stood directly in front of me. I then metioned to my brother-in-law that it was their way of telling me I didn't belong. I just repositioned myself and continued to get some shots of my niece. I know that I should have contacted them, but it did bother me that they would do that, but I also know how photographers can be. To those reading this post I did ask my sister, who was the coach, if there was any mentioned or information given out about there being photographer's covering the event and there wasn't anything posted anywhere in the area about photographer's covering the event, so I just continued to do my thing while they did theirs.

Any ways, this beautiful young lady is my niece and here are some shots I took of her during the game. Please enjoy.











To show different angles I have taken two different pictures of my niece running to first base after a hit. This first shot was taken from the outfield just outside the baseline. An angle such as this will give you a more direct and frontal shot.

This shot of my niece running was taken from along the fence line near the coaches box. An angle like this gives you more of the runner's side as they get closer to you. Both of these were taken while in the kneeling position.

2 comments:

Denise Marie Olson said...

love 'em Jim...esp. the photos with her swinging and getting a part of the American flag in the background. totally symbolic!!! and you are right, getting right on the field does produce cool, in the action shots. Nice captures!!!

Al Quackenbush said...

It's amazing how territorial photographers can get when they are 'there first'. It's ridiculous! I have had similar experiences where the photographer will ask me what I am shooting with and then he'll scoff at my gear. I figure they can laugh all they want. It's not the camera that makes the photographer, it's his or her eye and what they can do with that tool when it's being used properly. I think you handled it very well and it's good advice for the rest of us. Thanks, Jim!