About Me

My photo
Long Beach, California, United States
Welcome to my blog. Looking through my posts you will find that I love and have a passion for photography and although my expertise so to speak is in Sports Action, I have been getting into wildlife and senior portraits. No matter what I'm shooting I want to bring my client the best possible shot I can and give them / you a photograph that you will cherish for a lifetime. If your looking for someone to capture your child in action, to show the intensity and emotion in which your child plays, look no further. Just drop me a line (e-mail) at homerkenpo@aol.com. I cover most areas in Southern Califoria.

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Lakewood JV Football vs Compton

This could possibly be my last football game of the season. This was our last season game, which meant the jv and freshmen teams were through with their season. That only left the varsity squad with their game on Friday.

On Friday evening I packed up my gear as I always do and headed out to the game, which was being played at Compton. I'm not a big fan of taking my gear to place like Compton, which is know for it's crime and gang activity, but Compton High School has a pretty good setup for the visiting team. The visitors have their own side with parking. This means that one can go to the game, park on campus, and go directly to the stands, or field in my case, without having to walk through the opposing teams fans. But as things would have it I was running a bit behind. When I arrived at the school I was stopped by Compton Police, who said the lot was full and that I would have to park on the street. Well, needless to say I just drove home. Compton is not an area where a photographer carrying $7,500 plus gear would want to walk down the street with. Yes my gear can be replaced and I do have insurance for it, but the gangs in these areas will often shoot first than just take the gear. No need to go down that path.

I later found out that one of our parents were shot at while driving through Compton on their way home after the game. So I might have made the best decision to just go home and relax.
Our team did make the playoffs, but depending on where they play I may or may not be able to make it due to work and distance. Well see what happens.

As for this game, the jv played hard and dominated the game from the beginning. It was a great game to watch with our boys giving me some great opportunities to capture some great action.

This is just one of those pictures that may or may not bring you back to your child hood, but first let me remind you of why this shot will.

We all, or at least most of us grew up with the term "Cooties" being used. We needn't want the girls to touch us or we would get cooties. Boy were we wrong. Any hoot, when I first saw this shot it brought me back to that time. This young man is doing his best to twist away from the hand that just seems to be coming out of nowhere. As if he had cooties and didn't want to tagged.

This young man (#22) had a great game. He made some key plays and had two interceptions, one being this catch, which he robbed from #7.


His mother usually buys all of his pictures and I do try to get some nice action of him, so when I ended up with this shot I was very pleased, if not for capturing the shot, but for his mom and him.

This was a great catch. The receiver was slightly over thrown, but with great effort by this receiver, it was caught. He landed just inside the end zone for a touch down.









This is what happens when the action happens directly in front of you while your shooting with a 300. The pass was missed.

No comments: