About Me

My photo
Long Beach, California, United States
Welcome to my blog. Looking through my posts you will find that I love and have a passion for photography and although my expertise so to speak is in Sports Action, I have been getting into wildlife and senior portraits. No matter what I'm shooting I want to bring my client the best possible shot I can and give them / you a photograph that you will cherish for a lifetime. If your looking for someone to capture your child in action, to show the intensity and emotion in which your child plays, look no further. Just drop me a line (e-mail) at homerkenpo@aol.com. I cover most areas in Southern Califoria.

Sunday, September 16, 2007

Lakewood Varsity vs Mayfair

The varsity has finally stepped up and won one for us and this was the game to win. Lakewood and Mayfair are rivals and play for the "Milk Bucket" each year. Lakewood has possed it for several years, that was until last year when they lost 41-42 in double overtime. So getting the Milk Bucket back was a big deal for the team and school. Our varsity went into this playing for keeps and played a tough game winning 40-3. It was good and well deserved win for them.


Now my son, who plays JV, was able to suit up with the varsity but even with this huge win he didn't get a chance to play. The second string didn't even get in until late in the fourth quarter when we had a 34-0 lead. I understand it's about the win, but you have guys that want the opportunity to play and be part of the team. My son spends every practice getting beat up and thumped by the first string offense, and he get nothing for it other than the opportunity to wear the uniform. For some that's sufficient, but my son, he want's to play and to have the opportunity to be a part of varsity.

Well, I'll step off my soap box and post some pictures of the action, but before I do let me say what my setting were. I did use a flash and had it set at 1/3 power, which allowed me to shoot continuisouly for a few shots before the flash had to recycle. My camera was set to manual at f/2.8, 1/500, and ISO 1600. I was very pleased with the shots I ended up with. So take a look and you be the judge.








And this was what the win was all about, the "Milk Bucket". Here is a partial team shot with the bucket.



And finally here is a shot of my son (right) with one of the first string defensive players he goes against each and every practice, and the bucket.

3 comments:

Lisa Walsh said...

Homer, your shots are wonderful as usual! I appreciate you taking the time to share your technique as well. I was looking at the pictures I took of my husband's rugby game Sat. and found myself wondering if flash would help...so thanks to you I'll give it a shot next time.

And as a parent, I know where you're coming from regarding the Coach's letting the rest of the team play. It's very frustrating to try to explain it to a disappointed player, no matter what their age.

Jim, "Homer" said...

Thanks so much Lisa, I did see your rugby shots. I would so much love to shoot some rugby but can't find it anywhere out here.

As for my son, I can only be there to support him and be his bigest fan.

Lisa Walsh said...

You can come out and shoot rugby with me anytime! (And can I borrow your 300mm? Please?)